Site news

A New Direction but Don't Panic

Picture of Paul Offord
A New Direction but Don't Panic
by Paul Offord - Thursday, 9 May 2019, 4:28 PM

Hi All,

It's been some time since we posted anything on the TribeLab site.  Things at Advance7 have been pretty hectic, and this has left little time to contribute here.

Just over a year ago, Advance7 joined a Gartner business strategy programme.  During the discovery phase, we described to them what we do and how we do it, and they said, "You must be happy that Google came along with SRE?  It validates what you do.".  For some time, our CTO had been telling me that we are a Site Reliability Engineering company, but I had resisted the idea because the word "Site" seemed restrictive.  I've seen the error of my ways.  It's disappointing that I needed an external consultant to convince me.

We believe that Site Reliability Engineering will come to dominate the technical support landscape very soon.  The problem is that we don't think vanilla SRE as described in the Google book can be adopted in the established corporate world.  However, that shouldn't detract from the fact that SRE principles have a lot to offer enterprises, and so we need Enterprise SRE principles.

Much of what we cover in the TribeLab site addresses Enterprise SRE issues, and so we are going to focus on this exciting area of IT.

Don't panic!  We'll still deliver great content for network and server engineers; it will just be mixed in with content covering other technologies.

Best regards...Paul

Paul Offord
CEO, Advance7